[XviD-devel] please help ^_^

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:35:17 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Roberto Della Pasqua wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm sorry to disturb,

Hi, no problem, but please don't post the same question more than once.

> I like to know if I can embed the xvid mpeg4 codec into a commercial
> application...

"commercial" yes, but "proprietary" no.

If you want to create software which uses XVID you must follow the
rules of GPL, which is:

* The source code of the application (both XVID and your
application(!) ) must be available, distributed together with the
application itself.
* Re-Distribution and modification of your application must be
allowed free of charge.
* some other terms which you can read in the GPL FAQ at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses

If you don't plan to release the sources and/or if you don't want to allow
free redistribution etc., you MAY NOT base your application on XVID.

> Which kind of license I need to achieve with xvid staff?

XVID is released under GNU GPL, see above.

> Its enough insert the xvid informations into credit and copyrght section?

No! Definitely NO!

> Really thanks,
>
> perhaps does exist a "chief" that follow and rapresent the xdiv group?

There is no "chief" and we are not called "xdiv".
If you have further questions, write to contact@xvid.org.

Christoph

--
Christoph H. Lampert chl@math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature wurde maschi-
Beringstr. 6, Zi. 15, 53115 Bonn, Germany | nell erstellt und bedarf