[XviD-devel] Re: qpel smearing/noise problem

Michael Militzer xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:12:06 +0100

Hi,

[...]

> So... is it the problem I sent in XviD mailing list last October?
> ([XviD-devel] Quarterpel problem.)

no, we were basically talking about the following two problems (which caused
the smearing):

a) the reference software implements qpel in a different way than what the
standard says and
b) using different idct implementations in de- and encoder can lead to
artifacts, qpel seems to amplify this problem

The problems you mentioned earlier were problems specific to the CVS HEAD
qpel code. This code had been abandoned for quite a long time already. The
"real" development is done on our dev-api-3 cvs branch and the qpel code of
our dev-api-3 source tree was free of all bugs you described already back in
october.

bye,
Michael