[XviD-devel] Automatic benchmark / compile

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:27:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I tested Skal's xvid_gmc (pure C, heavy computation, much memory
access) with various compiler flags and found that different CPUs need
different setting for "optimimal" performance. Well, what a great result,
I'm gonna get the Nobel price for that, I know...

Since it's very well 20% or more of a difference between "defaults" and
"optimal", I wanted to include a small shell-script into XviD
build/generic that could do some kind of automatic benchmarking and set
compiler option accordingly (or at least output the values, so everyone
can create his own CFLAGS ).

My question to you:
* Does anyone else of you with knowledge in /bin/sh programming volunteer
for that?
* Is there a similar method for Windows?

gruel