[XviD-devel] Automatic benchmark / compile

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:25:39 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à Christoph Lampert <chl@math.uni-bonn.de>:
> Since it's very well 20% or more of a difference between "defaults"
> and "optimal", I wanted to include a small shell-script into XviD
> build/generic that could do some kind of automatic benchmarking and
> set compiler option accordingly (or at least output the values, so
> everyone can create his own CFLAGS ).

This kind of test would fit perfectly in a configure script imo,
perhaps it's time for me to try again to make some good autoconf
script for XviD. The last time i tried, i failed because i tried to
do autoconf+automake, but i think a single Makefile + some settings
set thanks to the configure script could be possible. I started
unifying Makefiles in 0.9.x branch and only some variables are now
platform specific. So it's feasible.

> My question to you:
> * Does anyone else of you with knowledge in /bin/sh programming
> volunteer for that?

If i try again the autoconf adventure, then why not ?

> * Is there a similar method for Windows?

I don't think there's something similar on windows. The better thing to do
would be to install cygwin and build XviD with GNU tools. It's as easy as a
simple "make -f Makefile.cygwin|mingw"

--
Edouard Gomez