[XviD-devel] Use of xvid to create a videoconferencing tool.

Romain PIQUOIS xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:40:46 +0900

Hi everybody,

I am new to the scene but I had a lot of interested in video encoding (I
mean here technically)
since the beginning of DivX.

Actually I would like to start an open source project to do
videoconferencing using Mpeg4 codec.

Here is my questions for the experts :
- Do you think that xvid and such would bring a lot of performance increase
compare
to H263 (Microsoft NetMeeting) ?
- Do you think that it is a compression scheme is adapted to such
application ?

I am talking here of a bandwith between 150kpbs and 1mbit including
audio+video+videoconf info.
I was especially thinking about feature such as encoding at variable rate
redefined in real time or
usage to B Frame instead of P frame to avoid to go over the bandwidth
ability and so on...

- Do you think that it is possible that I can help to modify the codec to
work with so special conditions ?

I think I am good programmer but not used well to codec programming and
underlying mathematics about compression.

I have some ideas about how I could modify the codec to be more efficient
with such use but would like to discuss these issues if people here are
interested in such use...

Video encoding is great but I think there is more usage than ripping DVDs.
:-P
(dont flame me, it is humor...)

Thanks,
Romain.