[XviD-devel] Use of xvid to create a videoconferencing tool.

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:40:24 +1100

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:40:46 +0900 "Romain PIQUOIS" <rpiquois@klab.org> wrote:

> Hi everybody,

hello.

> I am new to the scene but I had a lot of interested in video encoding (I
> mean here technically)
> since the beginning of DivX.
>
> Actually I would like to start an open source project to do
> videoconferencing using Mpeg4 codec.

have u looked at ffmpeg?

> Here is my questions for the experts :
> - Do you think that xvid and such would bring a lot of performance increase
> compare
> to H263 (Microsoft NetMeeting) ?
> - Do you think that it is a compression scheme is adapted to such
> application ?

i havent used netmeeting; i'd say if used correctly, mpeg-4 would offer
a quality increase.

> I am talking here of a bandwith between 150kpbs and 1mbit including
> audio+video+videoconf info.
> I was especially thinking about feature such as encoding at variable rate
> redefined in real time or
> usage to B Frame instead of P frame to avoid to go over the bandwidth
> ability and so on...

what resolutions?

i've been playing arround with the real-time-simple (rts) profile.
it doesnt support bframes, but you get reduced resolution vops which
coiuld be used  to avoid exceeding the available bandwidth

> - Do you think that it is possible that I can help to modify the codec to
> work with so special conditions ?

sure. the biggest problem i see for real-time streaming is ratecontrol.
our cbr/abr algo needs improving.

> I think I am good programmer but not used well to codec programming and
> underlying mathematics about compression.

there's not much mathematics...

> I have some ideas about how I could modify the codec to be more efficient
> with such use but would like to discuss these issues if people here are
> interested in such use...
>
> Video encoding is great but I think there is more usage than ripping DVDs.
> :-P
> (dont flame me, it is humor...)

you are correct!

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo