[XviD-devel] general question about the platform

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:39:47 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, josse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it right, that when i compile the sourcecode for a other platform as
> the supported (x86, PPC ...) in the XviD-Project i must rewrite all the
> *.asm Files for my special platform (for me Analog Device DSP 21065l
>  32-bit)

You _can_ compile for any plattform that supports ANSI C (in theory it
should work, maybe with a few minor modifications). The ASM-files are only
for speedup, so if you want realtime encoding/decoding, you might have to
add some .asm files for you plattform. However, you don't have to do this
for every file, and the most often used routines are also the most basic
ones, with algorithms often available from the CPU manufactor, like

SAD = sum of absolute errors = distance between two vectors in L^1-norm
and
DCT/iDCT = 2d (inverse) discrete cosine function acting on 8x8 blocks.

gruel