[XviD-devel] general question about the platform

suxen_drol xvid-devel@xvid.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:40:36 +1100

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:34:07 +0100 josse <josse11@epost.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it right, that when i compile the sourcecode for a other platform as
> the supported (x86, PPC ...) in the XviD-Project i must rewrite all the
> *.asm Files for my special platform (for me Analog Device DSP 21065l
>  32-bit)

the .asm files contain platform-specific optimized assembler versions of
existing c functions. to experiment with xvid (ie. get it working) you
do not need to rewrite these. you only need to rewrite them if you want
increased performance.

and, as gruel mentioned, most dsp manufactures provide a toolkit/library of
dsp functions.

btw, we get a lot of enquires about compiling/using xvid on dsp's. it'd
be nice if these people would post their makefile/portab.h modifcations
such to benefit everybody?

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo