[XviD-devel] "Generic" plugin mechanism

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:02:24 +0100

Christoph Lampert wrote:

> My idea are things like prefiltering of the input image e.g. with access
> to adaptive quantization information, maybe also with access to motion
> data.

Adaptive quantization could be a plugin itself.

Personally I think the plugin should be called directly after ME and it should
handle everything from MC to transformation and quantization, that way you dont
need pre&post slots. You could make some standard full frame
MC/quantization/coding routines which would prevent replication of the several
loops now present in encoder.c which handle that whenever possible, but still
allow almost all pre-processing schemes including the ones interdependent with
quantization  (adaptive and/or R-D optimized) to use the plugin system.

> I would like slots for "plugins" as a part of the core, not of VfW etc,
> because that way, things are more portable to non-Windows plattforms.
>
> What do you think?

Dont restrict it to pre-processing, simular modularity is called for for
post-processing IMO.

Marco