[XviD-devel] Something to read: Rate-Distorsion optimization

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:10:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

since I know that all of you are extremely eager to learn new stuff >;->
so here are a few links if you are interested in

"Rate Distorsion Optimization"

which covers e.g. "Optimal" Adaptive Quantization, "Optimal" Quantization
(like ffmpeg's trellis) and "Optimal" Mode Decision. It's also the
background for the constants we penalize long vectors in motion estimation
etc.

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/sullivan98ratedistortion.html
(rather good overview in the beginning)

ftp://standards.pictel.com/video-site/9804_Tam/q15d40.doc  (Trellis)

http://bs.hhi.de/~wiegand/ICG-Project-RDO.html
(full RD0, have a look at the link to "MPEG-4 (Download proposal)" )

gruel