[XviD-devel] "Generic" plugin mechanism

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:54:09 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Marco Al wrote:

> Christoph Lampert wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Marco Al wrote:
> >> I would prefer versioned libcores come to think of it, with the right one
> >> being selected by the frontend (VfW or otherwise). This reminds me though of
> >> the problem of configuration ... how do you perform platform independent
> >> configuration? (A problem for the original scheme too.) Part textfiles, part
> >> GUI (in the case of VfW) is a bit ugly ... but too much work to avoid I
> >> guess.
> >
> > Simple: Let every GUI write a textfile and things are compatible again.
>
> Programming a GUI which could configure any version/plugin (all with
> different sets of relevant parameters) would be a nightmare, unless
> you intend to create a plugin system for the front ends :)

Oh, you meant the configuration of plugins? I don't know. I wanted to have
the calling application take care of that, as it's done now with Codec
configuration.
I guess having a textfile for every plugin would be simplest solution. If
this cannot be handled conveniently by a GUI, then users at least have to
choice of using "notepad.exe" ;-)

gruel