[XviD-devel] ia64-Patch

Stephan Krause xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:45:18 +0100

Christoph Lampert wrote:

> * Use "natural" types where possible. Use "int" instead of int32_t, etc.,
>   unless the size matters (which it almost never does). The _size_ of
>   structures doesn't have to be the same on every plattform...
[...]
> * Use  unsigned int  for loop counters (I read somewhere that it's
>   faster), unless they become negative, of course.
[...]
> * Use _signed_ for stride values, they are a "relative" value and might
>   become negative.

You indeed can use a uint for stride or loop counters, even if they may
become negative, but in that case you have to use ptr_t instead of uint32_t.

In fact, the code sometimes uses ptr_t for array-indices with negative values.

But of course i agree that it may be better to use signed variables for
signed values if possible.

To use "natural" types should be a goot thing, too, because a 32bit-Integer
isn't that fast on a 64bit-Machine.

Stephan

--
Sig fault. (core dumped)