[XviD-devel] "Generic" plugin mechanism

Marco Al xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:26:30 +0100

suxen_drol wrote:

>> There could be slots within encoding, in particular _before_ and _after_
>> the main encoding step, where generic functions could be called with
>> access to internal encoder data. Either just one, doing everything it
>> wants, or several, read from a linked list, etc.
>
> several would be good.

Just for completenes make the top level functions in encoder.c pluggable too, it
would be a shame to have a needlessly constricted plugin system.

I know of more examples of existing experiments which wouldnt have fit in the

> * iam unsure about macroblocks and motion vectors. how would this fit
> in with the motion estimation engine? would m.e then become a plugin?

Make everything which already uses function pointers anyway pluggable, that
requires minimal changes to the code.

Marco