[XviD-devel] Final discussion for RELEASE

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Jul 6 20:52:11 CEST 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Michael Militzer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > what's still left to be done before 1.0 ?
> > Features are frozen for quite a while now.
> > Optimization could be postponed until a quick v1.1,
> > if they are not absolutely necessary.
> >
> > Any bugs left?
>
> hm, I guess there's still a lot to do. Just look at pete's todo list (ok,
> not everything has to be done for 1.0) and we are still working on the new
> two-pass system. Also I don't think it's a good idea to postpone
> optimizations for 1.1 or an even later version (while there isn't that much
> to optimize - besides GMC). Yes, there is no magic about version numbers,
> so basically there's no reason why not to declare the current code as 1.0
> (or the code from last week or whatever).

I just meant that a "perfect" XVID 1.0 would somehow make further
development more difficult. If it had no bugs, but some features to be
optimized (like GMC ;-) we might have more energy to go for the next
release.

> The problem is just that people
> have huge expectations from 1.0 (which we may not fullfill) - nonetheless
> we should try to make 1.0 something special (or fool everyone and skip 1.0
> completely ;-)) - yes, I like this idea ;-))).

Let's make it 6.0 ;-)

Large headline on the homepage "Release of 1.0 cancelled" and then in the
text below that we state that XviD 6.0 is released instead.. ;-)

Just XviD Deux? Or rather "XviD xueD".

gruel

P.S. The great expectations are easy to fulfill: Make Trellis quant
default. It'll be a little slow, but...