[XviD-devel] GME

elcabesa elcabesa at inwind.it
Fri Jul 11 19:09:09 CEST 2003

hi
encoding some DVD i found that when camera is panning one side of image loose
quality, i think that GME information could be used to help xvid compressor

suppose camera is panning left, so the image will move from left to right!!
the residual image to be coded after GMC e Motion compensation has lot of info
in his first left pixel
_______________________
|X					|
|X					|
|X					|
|X		----->		|
|X					|
|X					|
_______________________

X  = big residual to be encoded

if you look some shene where cameri is panning you could see that zone not
helped by motion compensation  ( X ones) have a lower psnr
NEXT frame has the same problem , but also the problem that MC move the X
macrobloch to right to compensate  motion and use that to calculate residual
image
the result is a noisi image on left with noise that move form left to right on
screen,( after some macroblock this noise is masked )

i think that using GME info from this frame or form prevous frame  could help
if GME told me that camera is panning i could give to  mblock on left a lower
quantizator ( -2). this way you have fewer noise in the overall image

can someone told me how to take GME info and translate them in a BIG MOTION
VECTOR INFO??
and then how can i change quantizer as lumimask does??

thank you