[XviD-devel] 32Bit input pin / Alpha

Florian Schaper fschaper at zerodegree.de
Fri Jul 18 19:21:03 CEST 2003

Hello,

for my current Project (using DirectShow) I need a video-codec with an 32Bit
input pin (to save an alpha channel).
Most Videocodec's provide an 32Bit output pin (xvid thankfully already set's
the alpha value to 255, thanks guy's ) but not an 32Bit input pin (talking
still about directShow).

I understand, that most people won't need alpha in their movies anyway but
hey, here I am.

The mpeg4 standard reads somewhat promissing, alpha for textures and so on,
but I found no codec that would implement it.

I don't know that much about what you guy's are fighting with, so all thats
left for me is simply to ask you how difficult it would be to "upgrade" the
existing xvid source to encode an 8Bit alpha channel as well? Is there no
32bit 'in', simply because nobody saw a need there to implement it? Or are
there other (technical) reasons ? (besides maintaining more sections of
code).

Currently I'm using the huffyuv codec but since it work's lossless files get
to big and performace is crappy.
If there is no way xvid will support this in imminent future is there
another codec that might fit my needs? (fast [playback that is] & small,
like alway's)

Thanks for your help

./regards

Florian Schaper