[XviD-devel] variable bitrate encoding

Olaf Landsiedel olaf at olafland.de
Thu Jul 24 02:38:09 CEST 2003

Dear developers,

Sorry for bothering you guys with this question.

I have been looking in the sources of xvid to find a good way to "teach"
xvid variable bitrate encoding.

I am working on my thesis / Diploma. It is partly about mpeg4 and rtp.
For the congestion control of rtp transmissions a variable bit rate
encoding would be perfect.

I do not want to change more than needed in the sources of xvid, so I
thought I should ask you guys for some advice. Looking through the
sources, it seemed that setting encoder->rate_control->target_rate to
the new desired bit rate should work fine. In addition target_framesize
and avg_framesize have to be recomputed and set with the new values.

Is this idea correct? Is it really so easy? Did I miss anything?

Or is it all way more complex?

Thanks for any help,

Olaf