[XviD-devel] 0.9.2 released and important fixes for MPEG4 compliance in other branches.

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Tue Jul 29 01:53:40 CEST 2003

Edouard Gomez (ed.gomez at free.fr) wrote:
> Well, patches  are welcome, if you  don't make use of  automake which is
> really what  i wanted to avoid  because it generates  Makefiles that are
> not not compatible with the standard  make in BSD systems or the make in
> solaris/SunOS.

Just a Nota Bene because i forgot to mention what prevented me from
using automake and then libtool (11 months ago).

The problem is already expressed there:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2002-08/msg00129.html

So i tried to fool the system and renamed all files to .s so automake
would understand them, and call libtool... BUT ...

libtool did not  support nasm in any way,  i had to use a  sh wrapper to
catch the  call to  gcc and  remove PIC stuff  and other  annoying flags
(because libtool was assembling the files  the gcc way). I did hate this
nasty hack that moreover was working in some cases and not in others.

That's more  or less  the rationale behind  the current build  system. I
tried to rely  on the strict minimum, ie autoconf (but  i was just about
giving a try at direct sh  scripting, a bit like mplayer or ffmpeg does,
but i did not want to lose much time on that).

So if things have been  improved in automake/libtool, and you provide me
a patch....  geez  i would be happy to  give it a try. And  of course if
xvid _builds_  (symlink is not really  part of the  building process but
it's part of the install process) on at least the same number of targets
using pmake, gmake or the nasty solaris make... it will be merged.

--
Edouard Gomez