[XviD-devel] [RFC] Portable configuration files ?

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Wed Jul 30 19:05:56 CEST 2003

Hi,

It's nearly impossible  to share the same GUI between  Win32 and *nix if
we  do not want  to depend  on bloated  auxiliary libs  (wxwindows being
probably the one which suits our needs -- huge tho :\)

But we  could definitively allow the  configuration to be  the same. For
this we have just to allow the VFW frontend to dump the configuration to
files. I've finally  written a transcode module for  xvid devapi4, and i
did an effort and sticked to win32 options names (vhq, motion search etc
etc) instead  of just offering  a "precompiler"[1] of XVID  defines like
for xvid2 and xvid3 APIs.

The config  system used  in transcode is  very self contained  (only two
small files). It can read what is known as .ini files on Win32 platforms
(sections, subsections and keys=value couples).

I wonder  if win32 devs  would like to  integrate this config  system in
replacement of the registry reading/writing.

I see two advantages:
 - Win32 users can save various  configs and pick one at runtime instead
   of having to use regedit to merge .reg files and replace settings in
   registry.
 - All users  (including unix users)  could share their  configs easily,
   discuss settings.

I've uploaded the xvid4.cfg file  bundled with transcode so you can look
and judge wether or not it's worth it.
http://ed.gomez.free.fr/vrac/new-xvid-modules/xvid4.cfg

[1] Not  really a  precompiler but  the config system  was able  to read
XVID_... defines and set the right bit in the right struct member...

--
Edouard Gomez