[XviD-devel] dev-api-4 questions (decode)

Ravage ravage at gmx.de
Tue Jun 10 21:36:25 CEST 2003

Hi out there,

I checked out a fresh dev-api-4-cvs-version today -  just to have a look
at the new api since I only played around with the xvid-0.9.x api.
I also had a look at the examples but there are some points within the
decode-loop (for instance in xvid_decraw.c) which aren't clear for me:

Let assume this pseudo-code:

unsigned char* input_ptr;
mp4_size = fread(...):

used_bytes = dec_main(input_ptr, out_buffer, mp4_size, &xvid_dec_stats);

So my quesition are:
- What is used_bytes? My hint is, it's the size of the characters from
input_ptr[] which were used. So used_bytes<=mp4_size is always correct,
isn't it ?
For avi-cointainer it should be used_bytes == AVI_framesize.

- used_bytes <0 means error XVID_ERR_* and
  xvid_dec_stats.type <= 0 means we need more data ?
  or let's better say:
    - How would I notice errors (in stream for example) ?
    - How will I know the decoder needs more data ?

- Also I'm not sure what XVID_LOWDELAY means and when it must be set.

Big thanks for reading my questions.
I hope you'll have a few minutes to answer. Thank you.

Regards,
Bernd