[XviD-devel] RGBA 32Bit input format

Luca Piccarreta piccarre at elet.polimi.it
Wed Jun 11 15:58:56 CEST 2003

Actually our codec (commercial, TILAB) supports Shaped video,
(and OBMC :). And I suppose that there must be other reasonably fast
codecs that do as well... But nonetheless I dind't hear of any widespread
application of shaped video coding out there, not in the free, nor in the
commercial domain.
Profile & Levels specification of MPEG4 seems to have killed anything
that goes beyond ASP.
Perhaps this is also due to the fact that shaped video can find two
reasonable applications:
1) Storage of binary (or gray) sequences for Video Editing.
2) Object Based Coding
The first one might seem reasonable, given the applications commonly used,
while the second one.... Tools for MPEG4 System support are at this moment
not very complete, even considering the best applications. (I'm thinking
mostly
of encoding tools!)
For pete: feel free to contact me, even for just an exchange of opinions.
Luca Piccarreta (TILAB consultant)