[XviD-devel] minor changes / todo list

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Thu Jun 12 19:39:55 CEST 2003

Hi,

Quoting suxen_drol <suxen_drol at hotmail.com>:

> - (ed as previously suggested) consider moving "min/max_quant" and
> "zones array" to individual plugins, rather than mainting these at the
> encoder level (the encoder need not be aware of quantizer restrictions
> or zones). though, this will mean the plugins have to allocate their own
> zone arrays.

I find the zones concept rather confusing. Especially when looking at the
current dev-api-4 gui. Can someone explain this in more detail? I suppose
the zones shall replace the credits encoding mode? In my testing I found
that credits encoding (and supposedly zones too) decrease rate control
accuracy. I'd rather vote to remove the credits options because it does
not belong into a codec but should be better part of a tool/application.

> BUGS
> * greyscale mode leaving green smudges?
> * xvid decoder upside down in nero vcd encoder?
> * RGB->YV12 chroma sampling bug; do not average chroma
> * yuv->rgb mmx, yellow line
> * custom MPEG quant matrix uses static varibles
> * perform extensible bounds checking; valgrind

I've just fixed the yuv->rgb mmx yellow line bug.

> XVIDCORE/IMAGE
> * colorspace mmx patches/optimizations; yuv to rgb 15/16 mmx code
> * increase precision of yuv to rgb transformation?
> * blocked-based edge mirrorring?

I've also added proper rounding to the yuv->rgb conversion which should
reduce the overall mean error. I think the precision should be sufficient
now, but maybe someone should check who wasn't happy before (I was ;-))

I can look into yuv->rgb 15/16 mmx conversions. It shouldn't be too
difficult to implement.

bye,