[XviD-devel] minor changes / todo list

Hans K. Rosbach hk at circlestorm.org
Tue Jun 24 21:26:13 CEST 2003

Fist: Thanks for your comments, they cleared up a few things.

> It could be helpful if we add a threshold to your idea and only reencode
> a frame if we horribly missed the desired frame size. I just wonder how
> frequently this happens (hopefully just very seldom). In this case the
slow
> down wouldn't be severe but also the benefit might be questionable...

allowedoverflow / allowedunderflow was that threshold. So my suggestion
was only meant to correct those frames that are way off the desired size.

We would not get all the benefits of 3-pass, but I do think that this might
increase overall quality a little. The question is just: Is it enough?

I imagine this functionality could also be extended to support a minimum
wanted psnr value for the frames (with a threshold of how many re-tries
the codec should attemt to increase psnr). This would also need more
intelligence of course.

The "minimum"/fixed PSNR is something I have been wanting to test for some
time now, but so far I know only Mpeg-2 encoders that do this.

Anyways, I do enjoy what you do. Unfortunately I have not had the time
and strength to keep up with the source code since last year due to beeing
sick. Hopefully I will try to get up to date within a few months so I can
try
things like this myself.

-=Dead2=-