[XviD-devel] XVID profiling

Radoslaw radoslaw at airnet.com.au
Sun Mar 2 20:42:27 CET 2003

> GOAL 0)   Clean up "CheckCandidate"-mechanism  (but that may influence
>           ME structure, so it's not #1 on the list).

Could someone say anything useful about making CheckCandidate faster?
For those who don't know: a short function, called many many many
times using a pointer. Returns void, has 5 parameters, all of them
const type (including one pointer of const* type and one pointer which
isn't const*). It does some short computation (and this is fast, as my
profiling shows), calls one SAD function.
I bet that the biggest overhead comes from the function call itself,
not from what it does.

BTW, Christoph, could you confirm that your tests (no bframes part)
were partially with INTER4V enabled and partially with disabled? sad16
is never called with inter4v enabled (and lumimasking disabled).
sad16v is never called with INTER4V disabled.
If it is, something is wrong.

Radek