[XviD-devel] Papers

skal skal at planet-d.net
Tue Mar 4 17:18:46 CET 2003

	Hi,

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 15:00, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for those who are also interested  in the theory I found a few nice papers
> on MPEG and Prefetch:
>
> http://www.ee.princeton.edu/~rblee/PUpapers/Zuckertransactionavideotech2000.pdf
>
> http://www.cs.utah.edu/~zfang/paper/wwc5.pdf

	I've tried one of the simple idea contained in:

> http://www.cs.princeton.edu/omnimedia/papers/icme2002t.pdf

	that is: prefetch the ref MBs before decoding the
	inter coeffs (and *then* apply motion compensation and 	corrections).
	Unless I've missed something, the gain is not obvious:
	1 FPS gain for 720p.
	It was only a quick test, so if you want to try yourself,
	it's just a matter of slightly modifying decoder_mbinter()
	to add some:

__asm__ __volatile__ ("prefetcht2 (%0)\n\t" : : "r" (ref_ptr));

	all around the place...

	bye,
			Skal