[XviD-devel] I need a guide to XVId..

suxen_drol suxen_drol at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 23:27:52 CET 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:31:30 -0800 (PST) atanu ghosh <dead_lucy_grate at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi.... I'm a final year student of IIT Kharagpur ,INDIA , Dept of CSE.
> I want to develope xvid ..... I mean I have a plan to add a search engeen
> on it so that it can identify objects in a video sequence. I'll be very
> happy and thankful to the dear developers of XVid if they can please help
> me with a documentation or tutorial or guide to the full source code.

[iit: ive heard mystical stories about that place]

we unforunately dont have any decent developer documentation, though we
are willing to help answer any questions.

where abouts would you perform the object identification (encoder or
decoder?), and what would plan to do with the objects? encode them as
seperate vops?

if you are familar with mpeg coding, you might recognise the
various xvidcore subdirectories:
\xvidcore\src\
	bitstream\	bit reading & writing functions
	dct\		foward/invese cosine transform
	image\		image storage & manipulation functions
	motion\		motion estimation search and motion compensation
	prediciton\	intra block ac/dc prediction
	quant\		forward/inverse quantization
	utils\		misc functions.

the encoder functions are stored in encoder.c, and there is similar
decoder.c file.

-- pete; life is like a box of ammo