[XviD-devel] EDGE_SIZE == 64

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Mar 9 17:44:57 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm sure this was asked before, but: Why is EDGE_SIZE defined
as 64 in image/image.h? That's far beyond what is needed for
unrestricted motion vectors. 16 should be sufficient for this, or not?

If it's just to align lumi and chroma at same stride, then at least the
extra pixels should not be processed during image_setedges.

Second question: Image interpolate has

const uint32_t offset = EDGE_SIZE2 * (edged_width + 1);
// we only interpolate half of the edge area

Why do we interpolate edged area at all? In Halfpel mode, two of four
edges will be constant anyway (vertical at top and bottom, horizontal at
left and right) and the others will just contain copies of the boundary
row/column again, so a memcpy call (like setedges) would be sufficient.