[XviD-devel] performance analysis results

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Sun Mar 9 18:00:55 CET 2003

Venkata Tumati (vt35 at cornell.edu) wrote:

> Hi,
> I was doing some performance analysis using SGI Speedshop on xvid.
> 1st setup was using xvid_20021230 and the 2nd setup was the latest
> download from yesterday xvidcore-0.9.1.

The only significant change between both code is this commit:
Sun Jan 5 17:54:36 2003 src/bitstream/mbcoding.c rev 1.37
+ related files

It saves  lot of  memory for  VLC tables at  the expense  of a  bit more
instructions. VLC tables being ~10MB this change was supposed to save L2
cache  misses,  which  proved to  be  the  case  simulating a  run  with
valgrind. As no performance hit was visible on ia32, we switched to that
code.

This seems not to be true for mips.

Anyway, I wonder what "cycles" means in your data.

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...