[XviD-devel] Re: object segmentation

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Mar 10 08:43:51 CET 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, YH wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that the xvid does not support object segmentation (shape
> coding). Will the object segmentation be the future development?
>
> fh

Not in near future. It's computationally too expensive and not part of
MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile which we work on at the moment.
You might have noticed that no usable MPEG-4 encoder does segmentation
except if you provide the segmentation masks to the codec, and except for
a few test clips, you don't have masks available, of course.