[XviD-devel] Compiling for Mingw32 and Djgpp and more questions

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Mon Mar 10 23:42:57 CET 2003

From: "Eduardo Machado" <dudaskank at yahoo.com>

> Hmmm... my project isn't _based_ in XviD, but only
> _calls_ the functions to decode... in this form I can
> use LGPL?

You can license your own source code under any license you like, any
statically linked binary has to be licensed under GPL to be distributed
though and as such will force you to _additionally_ license your code under
the GPL as well. Even using dynamical linking doesnt help very much, since
you would be unable to distribute your binary together with xvid ... and you
could not use any of xvid's existing header files.

If you do distribute your source code under an additional non GPL license
dont forget that you cannot include xvid's source code in that case (this is
not a real problem though, you could just direct them to the xvid site).

Marco