[XviD-devel] SAD cache

skal skal at planet-d.net
Tue Mar 11 11:35:37 CET 2003

	Gruel,

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 11:14, Christoph Lampert wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2003, skal wrote:
>

> > 	Hi,
> >

> > 	Iirc, someone (Michael?) asked for a fast struct to store
> > 	previously evaluated motion vectors during ME. Here's the
> > 	one i'm using.
>
> Do you have any numbers on its effect? Are there really that many
> researches? I guess only when checking several predictors they often are
> identical.

	so far I've seen, it's 10-20% hits for 'regular' fast moving
	scenes. For slow moving ones (where the diamond/square search
	does not wander too far), it raises up to 20-30%. Conversely,
	 for 'hard' scenes, it drops to 5%.
	An other advantage of caching is that it makes the code for
	diamond-or-the-like search rather trivial to write...

	later,
			Skal