[XviD-devel] Illegal attachment type found in sent message"Core library Related Pages"

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Mar 19 15:03:01 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Klaus Post (KPO) wrote:

> Isn't this just a matter of somebody attaching a file with the ".scr"
> extension, and therefore automatically being rejected by the AV-filter.

No. Nobody on this list attaches a ".scr" file. Why should anyone?
It's simply a stupid virus that forges the sender address to something
from the address book, in this case Skal, and sends itself as some kind of
executable attachement (pif/exe/scr) to another address, in this case
xvid-devel. This happened before, it's always the same method.
The subject is generated out of some text-file or email, in this case
from XVID API document. The mail body itself is empty or almost empty.

Virus' like this I get sent a lot these days. If you have one they are
easy to remove with the right tools, but you have to know who is infected,
and that isn't easy to find out (because all addresses are faked).

gruel

P.S. It's not me, I'm a pure Linux user.