[XviD-devel] some bframes ideas

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Fri Mar 21 15:04:02 CET 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Marco Al wrote:

> From: "Christoph Lampert" <chl at math.uni-bonn.de>
>
> > Sorry, I may be a mathematician, but this is too fast for me.
> > Do you want to modify dequantization?
>
> Yep, as I said ... during dequantization. Since the b-frames arent
> references that doesnt present any problems.

Surely it does...  method of dequantization is fixed by the MPEG-4
standard, we cannot simply add our own methods.
But okay, since it's only b-frames, we could of course call it
"postprocessing" ;-)
However, it might be a little dangerous, because if the encoder
knows about this and relies on the decoder to subtract a bias,
quality could get worse with other decoders (including hardware).