[XviD-devel] Re: What is MPEG file format

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sat Mar 22 03:31:08 CET 2003

thcuong wrote:
> 1) I want to build a MPEG-1 video player, but don't know which toolkit
> is most simple and easiest to follow.
> 2) How can I have the MPEG fully described file format (header, chunk,
> ......)
For MPEG description we found

http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?page=2&s=animated

to be an excellent place, and this is valid for MPEG and also AVI. John
'spyder' Cannon was using the info he found on this place to make a very
basic MPEG demuxer on his own ( to learn ) lately.

He then found that using the code from bbdemux was a much better idea,
as it does support MPEG1/2 , both PS and TS. He basically needed this to
demux a MPEG PS into its ES ( Elementary Streams ) for MPEG1/2 video
muxing into matroska ( MPEG2MKV.exe ).

http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm has another nice program called
MPEGanalizzatore, it can be used to tell you a lot about any MPEG file,
this might help to understand the MPEG file structure.

Regards

Christian
http://www.matroska.org