[XviD-devel] OS X build is broken (0.9.1)

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Thu Mar 27 09:52:06 CET 2003

Ben Hines (bhines at alumni.ucsd.edu) wrote:
> The dylib on OS X does not get built properly. it does not have an
> install_name or proper compatibility and current versions. It also does
> not install the two required library symbolic links, and it installs
> the library with the wrong name.(probably the same on all platforms)
>
> Have you considered switching to libtool? (it handles all this for you)

Yes but  libtool is too "GNU tool  oriented", as an example  it does not
support nasm, which is important on the IA32 platform.

> As a quick hack for my fink package I set the compat and current
> versions to 1.

Please  use  compat=2  version=1,  2.1   is  the  API  version  used  in
xvidcore-0.9.1.  That's  what   i'm  using  in  the  release-0_9_1-fixes
branch. It  would be cool if  you had a look  at that branch  as I fixed
some build bugs in it.

> If you want to see what i did for fink, for building as well as my
> small patch, check out:

Basically I've been missing these 3 options:
 -compatibility_version
 -current_version
 -install_name

They will be added in configure.in:
[...]
     darwin*|raphsody*)
     AC_MSG_RESULT([-dynamiclib -flat_namespace])
     STATIC_LIB="libxvidcore.\$(API_MAJOR).\$(STATIC_EXTENSION)"
     SHARED_LIB="libxvidcore.\$(SHARED_EXTENSION)"
     SPECIFIC_LDFLAGS="-dynamiclib -compatibility_version \$(API_MAJOR) -current_version \$(API_MINOR) -install_name \$(libdir)/\$(SHARED_LIB) -flat_namespace"
     SPECIFIC_CFLAGS="-fPIC -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp"
[...]

Please test that on the release-0_9_1-fixes branch, if it's good then it
will be commited.

Another question:
On GNU/Linux systems,  we don't have to do  the symlink because ldconfig
will do it for us. Is the symlink really needed on MacOSX ?

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...