[XviD-devel] Syncing dev-api-4 with CVS_HEAD

Radek Czyz radoslaw at airnet.com.au
Thu Mar 27 19:41:20 CET 2003

Hello,

Gom wrote:

> in  my  syncing  work  with  CVS_HEAD on  dev-api-4[1],  I  noticed  the
> bframe_threshold is in the frame  structure. I wonder why this threshold
> is  not part  of the  encoder creation  structure. Isn't  this parameter
> constant all frames long ?

There is no bframe_threshold in dev-api-4 is there? It should be
there, not in api-3. The problem is that I'm not 100% sure if we need
it - but it's probably better to have it and set to 100 than not have
it.
As for its placement - no, I don't think it should be defined during
encoder creation. There is no reason to restrict it to entire
sequence - it's a supplement to frame type: autodetection + threshold
work together. It should be possible to set this number for any
potential bframe, for reasons like ratecontrol, encoding speed or
anything else...

Radek