[XviD-devel] Syncing dev-api-4 with CVS_HEAD

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu Mar 27 12:10:37 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Radek Czyz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Gom wrote:
>
> > in  my  syncing  work  with  CVS_HEAD on  dev-api-4[1],  I  noticed  the
> > bframe_threshold is in the frame  structure. I wonder why this threshold
> > is  not part  of the  encoder creation  structure. Isn't  this parameter
> > constant all frames long ?
>
> There is no bframe_threshold in dev-api-4 is there? It should be
> there, not in api-3. The problem is that I'm not 100% sure if we need
> it - but it's probably better to have it and set to 100 than not have
> it.

We are currently testing some settings for low bitrates, and it's obvious
that autodetection doesn't work well there. Without a very high thresh,
like >200, hardly any bframes are set at all.
So maybe we should keep the threshold, and even if it's not available
to the user, we have at ltast the chance to adapt it internally.

Also, we should make it possible to switch of the dynamics in bframes
generation completely, thresh=256 or thresh=MAXINT or something.
We really should, at the moment, even with very high thresh it fails too
often for very high quants.