[XviD-devel] new gui proposal

Radek Czyz radoslaw at airnet.com.au
Fri Mar 28 23:52:16 CET 2003

Hi,

I had a bit different ideas about vfw gui. I'll think them over again
and post them - not that I really really care, I can work using any
gui ;))

> 1.0 MAIN DIALOG

Let me just tell you that I don't really like this very small 'main
dialog'. You have to click on 'advanced' to do most things. Oh well,
I'll propose mine someday (ie tommorow or never)

> +-Motion Search--------------------------+
> |                                        |
> | Motion search precision: [ HIGH      ] |
> | VHQ                      [WIDE SEARCH] |
> | [X] Greyscale                          |
> | [X] Chroma motion                      |
> | Frame skip ratio %       [    ]        |
> |                                        |
> +----------------------------------------+

I think all speed/quality settings should look like this:

+Speed/quality---------------------+
|                                  |
| |-------------*-----------|      |        (a)
|                                  |
| Current setting: speed 100%      |        (b)
|                quality 100%      |        (c)
|                                  |
+----------------------------------+

The point is to:
1) not to haress users with technical stuff, such as VHQ or chroma
   motion (or even the idea of motion estimation)
2) give them a general idea of what it does, and what to expect.

Now, explanations:
(a) It'a a big slider with several settings. The more it goes to
    right, the slower encoding is, and we hope to gain quality
(b) selected speed. 100% is the default, whatever it is. Once the
    slider (a) moves, it changes. I fully understand that it will
    depend on many things (cpu and resolution..) but it gives the
    general idea, of how slow a setting is going to be. It's measured on
    640x resolution, simple profile, my own pc (unless more volunteers
    come up, I wouldn't count on it)
(c) this gives a general idea how much quality can be gained using
    chosen setting. The value, in %, says that given clip will look
    like if you used default setting (100%), but at
    increased/decreased bitrate. 110% means that if you used default
    setting, but increased bitrate by 10%, you'd have the same quality.

    Again, I'm aware that it will not be precise. However, I really
    really think that it's better than "Chroma Motion" which "should
    improve quality and should be slower" <-- well come on, it doesn't
    say anything...

Please tell me what do you think. As I said, I'll post 'my gui'
tommorow. It will include an "advanced" tab/window which will consist
of all api flags, with a big adnotation that "for help, consult
xvid source files" and no other info. It will be mostly for us, but
some rare/not needed settings would be there.

Until next time,
Radek