[XviD-devel] [QUESTION] how 2pass2 plugin work?

suxen_drol suxen_drol at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:54:01 CEST 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:37:07 +0200 elcabesa <elcabesa at inwind.it> wrote:
> i was triingv t do a frontend for mplayer mencoder.. but i can't find how to
> set this plugin. it need 2 input file and .. what is the 2nd file??

<suxendrol> okay. well, with two pass we have the original stats file, and then the scaled stats file.
<suxendrol> xvid currrently has no internal scaling routine.
<suxendrol> a) run 2pass1, and generate the stats file.
<suxendrol> b) scale the length field in the stats file using an external tool, such that the sum of all lengths equals the desired file size
<suxendrol> c) run 2pass2 with the first and scaled stats files.

--

btw, i was thinking that the scaling program could add a 'scaled-length'
field to each line of the stats file, rather than writing out a

i belive there is a lot of confusion as to why we need multiple stats
files.

-- pete