[XviD-devel] [QUESTION] how 2pass2 pluginwork?

Dirk Knop dknop at gwdg.de
Mon Mar 31 16:26:28 CEST 2003

Hi,

-------------------
> <suxendrol> okay. well, with two pass we have the original stats file, and
then the scaled stats file.
> <suxendrol> xvid currrently has no internal scaling routine.
> <suxendrol> a) run 2pass1, and generate the stats file.
> <suxendrol> b) scale the length field in the stats file using an external
tool, such that the sum of all lengths equals the desired file size
> <suxendrol> c) run 2pass2 with the first and scaled stats files.

Isn't statsreader (for the windows side only yet) exactly doing that?

> btw, i was thinking that the scaling program could add a 'scaled-length'
> field to each line of the stats file, rather than writing out a
> seperate scaled stats file. any opinions?
>
> i belive there is a lot of confusion as to why we need multiple stats
> files.

That would be fun, that way we'd "know" from the codec side that this file is
already scaled or better has a scaled curve added(we should increase statsfile
version to -21 then or something like that).

So we only select 2pass, and if we scaled the curve the codec knows that we're
doing a 2nd pass.

Or is that BS?

Regards
Koepi