[XviD-devel] Bitstream size limit

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun May 4 12:50:44 CEST 2003

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Dirk Knop wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just got a "bug report" over at doom9's forums  about an avi file (on
> ntfs)  which is >4GB and is unplayable. Do we have 32 bit counters
> internally, thus limiting the bitstream size to 4GB, is that the MPEG4
> standard or what's this all about? ;)

As far as I know, there are no counters that could overflow in XviD or
MPEG-4 at all. After all, it's also intended for streaming, where a stream
could flow for months and years without upper limit on the amount of data.

Only the AVI-file (index etc.) has 31 or 32 bit limits. I'm pretty
sure that the codec doesn't follow filesize so far. As long a single frame
isn't more than 2**31 bits long, I would rather blame the encoding app.