[XviD-devel] Packaging xvidcore for linux systems.

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Mon May 5 03:16:34 CEST 2003

Hello,

I know there are lot of  xvidcore packages available on the net. However
i wanted to create my own for:
 - learning debian packaging policy
 - because i fail fixing the encoder loop and that makes me nuts.

And while making this nice package,  the debian policy showed me that we
were using libname.so  == SONAME... which is not a good  idea if we want
to have various libs coexisting together.

/!\   So    i   changed   the    generic   unix   rule   to    use   the
soname=libname.so.major. Be aware of that if you build your own xvidcore
library   or    if   you   package   it    for   plf,   marillat/debian,
put_here_your_distro_name.

I have  also noticed  that i  used the --target  to determine  for which
machine/os we were building sources. Is this a problem ?

Btw my debian  package is nearly perfect, with  all stuff well separated
in   libxvidcore2,   lbxvidcore2-dev,  libxvidcore2-doc,   libxvidcore3,
lbxvidcore3-dev, libxvidcore4, libxvidcore4-dev.

We have:
 - Major API 2 -> XviD 0.9.x (current stable release)
 - Major API 3 -> current cvs head (should never be released)
 - Major API 4 -> branch dev-api-4 (should be released soon?)

The only problem i have is making coexist the header files together. How
is this managed for ... let's say  libpng which has lot of versions on a
system  ? Any  expert  ? Should  i  simply rename  the  header files  to
something like xvid${major}.h ?

PS: and also the links to libname.so required in the libname-dev package
    according to the debian policy.

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...