[XviD-devel] GPL and Windows

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon May 5 15:19:27 CEST 2003

Hi,

You misunderstood GPL.

GPL does not restrict _usage_ in any way. You are allowed to
_use_ XVID with Windows, with any proprietary software like Media
Player for decoding, or Adobe Premiere for encoding.

What GPL forbids is the _distribution_ of derived works based on XVID,
where "derived works" usually is interpreted in a very broad sense.
So, Microsoft is not be allowed to bundle Windows and XVID into
a "Multimedia-Windows" or something. Adobe is not allowed to create a
version of Premiere which already includes XVID, that would be
_distribution_ of derived works.

gruel