[XviD-devel] Seeking permission for another controlled interface

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon May 5 15:22:50 CEST 2003

Hi,

linking exception over a controlled interface was a "bug" in our release
policy, because in the beginning, we interpretet GPL in a wrong way. New
versions of XVID will not contain it, and there won't be new exceptions.

Most likely you won't need a linking permission anyway: As in my last mail
2 minutes ago, it's not needed to create plugins for proprietary
applications or to support non-free APIs. GPL allows all this.
It's just a question of _distribution_ of non-free derived works based on
XVID.

gruel