[XviD-devel] GPL and Windows

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Mon May 5 18:32:43 CEST 2003

On Monday 05 May 2003 15:54, James Briant wrote:
> I refer you to the GPL FAQ (http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html):

FAQ != license.

> If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to
> each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single
> program

Everyone's free to believe whatever one desires. :)

> So the question becomes, is the Windows Media Player one of the "major
> parts of a proprietary operating system". Unfortunately, the FSF has argued
> to the US supreme court and to congress, that neither Internet Explorer,
> nor the Windows Media Player, form a major part of the operating system,
> and are merely applications distributed by Microsoft with the OS, while
> Microsoft has argued that they are core products.

VideoForWindows and DirectShow != Windows Media Player.

> Dont make non-free windows easier to use, and it dont release
> it in a format whose only purpose is to be used by any application, free
> and non-free alike.

Oh, please, why not harass the FSF with your thoughts about xvid first and let
_them_ talk to the xvid project about their license if they think it's
warranted. YANAL, after all, are you?

--
Regards,
	Michael Nottebrock