[XviD-devel] OBMC decode support patch for dev-api-4

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon May 5 20:33:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Edouard Gomez wrote:

> CM (chenm001 at 163.com) wrote:
> > Hi:
> >     I'm commit some obmc decode support.
>
> If  nobody  has already  done  it,  let me  commit  that  (i'll do  that
> tonight).

Hm, are you sure?

OBMC is in the ISO Standard, but it isn't part of any MPEG-4 profile, so
using OBMC breaks MPEG-4 compatability.  There are no codecs outside that
use it, as far as I know, it could be removed from MPEG-4 at any time.

Why add a feature that won't be used for decoding and shouldn't be use for
encoding?