[XviD-devel] OBMC decode support patch for dev-api-4

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Tue May 6 17:19:45 CEST 2003

Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
>> Gom said: let's add it to my never ever ending "don't commit" patch
>> queue.
>
> I didn't say that. Or maybe I did? Anyway, we should find a policy for
> MPEG-4 stuff that isn't in any profile supported by us. At the moment,
> that's at least
>
> * reduced resolution
> * OBMC

There's no reproach in my sentence. Just a remark :-)

> What do you think? Should we include those and add a "compatability
> mode" so they aren't used for encoding. Or just throw them out, because we
> are not compliant and will just bloat up code?
>
> How about OBMC/RRn just for decoding? I won't be needed, but it wouldn't
> hurt, either...

As  an educative  project we  should keep  those features  available for
those who want  to experiment them. But this  excludes our growing "Joe"
user base who just want  to have movies playable (almost) everywhere and
on hardware (when possible).

What we could do, is have a public patches repository that we would sync
from  time to  time  with main  development  trunk. Or  we could  create
feature branches  that would be  frozen once the  feature is added  as a
proof of concept.

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...