[XviD-devel] R-D "optimal"

Marco Al marco at simplex.nl
Wed May 7 21:22:29 CEST 2003

From: "Christoph Lampert"

> You mean perform inverse DCT and calculate error in the image domain?
> I guess only performance penalties stop us from that.

I think he is saying the present error for an individual coefficient is
taken as the difference between the unchanged quantized coefficient and the
lowered/tresholded quantized coefficient ... whereas it should be between
the original coefficient and the dequantized lowered/thresholded quantized
coefficient.

Anyway ... as you said before, for MSE the DCT remains orthogonal.

Marco