[XviD-devel] New Trellis Quant

Radek Czyz syskin at ihug.com.au
Mon May 12 22:11:07 CEST 2003

Hi,

> For me too, and also at fixed quantizer PSNR dropped heavily, so it can't
> be too long vectors or something. Actually, I can't explain this at all.

That's all true. I don't know why, but BITS search hurts quality in
most cases... Actually at quant 10, even the decision itself hurts
PSNR and this is even weirder.
My tests show that BITS search is reasonably good at quants 2, 3, but
not higher.

> Guys, are you sure the code for BITS-refine isn't buggy?

I hope it is. I really like the idea, it would be a shame if it just
didn't work :)

Radek

PS: Trellis quant looks amazing :>>>