[XviD-devel] On the road to 1.0

Edouard Gomez ed.gomez at free.fr
Wed May 14 03:17:22 CEST 2003

Christoph Lampert (chl at math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to all of you, what is still missing for a release of dev-api-4 as
> XVID 1.0 ?
>
> 1) Full GMC support for ASP compatibility  (finished, not commited)
>       * will be, after dev-api-4 encoder loop is stable.
>
> 2) Windows GUI - simple presets/defaults
>      * two-pass?
>
> 3) Native API - simple way to set flags
>      * two-pass?
>
> Anything else that is _really_ needed?

4) Yep,  the  quaterpel  code  from  the  Isibaar  branch  needs  to  be
   integrated.  What else  is in  this  mysterious Isiibar  branch ?  oh
   yeah... the fast bframes.

4bis) And the  actual code is buggy,  some frames are  badly compensated. I
   did not tracked deeply the bug  so i cannot tell if it occurs because
   of wrongs  vectors in ME  or because of  another parasiting bug  in a
   later stage.

5) 2pass does not work  for me(tm). Pete, does it work for  you ? If not
   then it is really important to make it work.

6) the  single pass  plugin needs  to integrate  the fixed  quant plugin
   functionnality. See my last mail:
   http://list.xvid.org/pipermail/xvid-devel/2003-May/002906.html

7) Legal headers must make their come back. Current cvs code (except the
   release-0_9_[01][-fixes]  tags/branches)  is   a  legal  mess,  wrong
   license headers, no copyrights.

8) I did an effort in 0.9.x to  document the API with a not so intrusive
   method: doxygen. Do  we continue this way or do we  decide to write a
   real documentation ? (texinfo, docbook xml ?)

All  steps before  8 should  be done  before the  dev-api-4  -> cvs_head
merge imo.

But 8 is rather important.

> Are there features in dev-api-3 that haven't been ported to dev-api-4,
> yet?

Why are you always talking about dev-api-3 ? this branch is dead. I hope
you  meant  cvs_head  in   all  your  previous  mails  (discussion  with
syskin). Just to be sure...

Btw, i can answer that one. I've synchronised cvs_head and dev-api-4 lot
of times,  the only divergent  parts are encoder.c (because  the encoder
loop was  too much  different) and mbtransquant.c  (because it  has been
rewritten  using  the idea  of  the  MBTransQuant2  functions that  were
present in cvs_head, minus the bugs, plus some more code factorization)

Motion Estimation code was a  100% perfect match with cvs_head until the
big bunch  of changes in  the last syskin's  commit. As he  promised, he
will port them. Syskin, i can do it for you if you prefer ?

(unix)   Build   system  is   100%   equivalent   (well,   you  have   a
--enable-gnuprofile option in dev-api-4 that does not exist in other cvs
branches). I  have a patch to  allow module building  on MacOSX (Tilmann
Bitterberg  from  transcode  discovered   dylibs  and  modules  are  not
equivalent on that platform, he provided me a patch)

> If that is completed, we should pretend to be a little professional an
> call a "features freeze" for the core soon. Very soon!

Oh, you're  $ù*^1ng right, how many times  i prayed for that  on the IRC
channel.

> The  release will be  "stable", so  everything that  isn't sure  to be
> stable or  sure to be  of any  use should not  be removed or  at least
> invisible in GUI.

Nothing to say here.

--
Edouard Gomez-------------- next part --------------